Custom products: the typical custom route costs
Stage 1: Production of a Product Design Specification.
This stage will be charged at £350 per day plus expenses incurred, such as travelling costs, and will be billed in full day increments in advance. Typically, this process only requires 3 man-days, but if the design is complex or information required from the customer is limited and requires more assimilation effort by Eccel, it can require longer and cost more. This stage is vital to success. A good specification leads to a good product, produced on time with desired performance outcomes.
The deliverables of this stage will be to:
- Produce a schematic and approximate bill of materials (BOM) for the units.
- Produce an accurate agreed functional specification for the hardware and software design for the project.
- Produce an accurate financial cost and time required quotation for the development of a small number of prototypes by Eccel Technology Ltd. (Stage 2 below).
- Produce an approximate financial costing for the supply by Eccel Technology Ltd of the final units in the volumes requested by you. (Stage 3 below. Quotation accurate to within 20% at this pre-development stage).
Requirements from you our partner must include but are not limited to:
- Full description of connection requirements to the PCBA we will design, to and from the outside world, including current and voltage input and output specifications on the device inputs and outputs, and any specific interface details such as communication protocols required.
- Details of the power supply input to the PCBA.
- Specification of functionality of the software we will design for the MCU(s) on the PCBA.
- Specification of range requirement, if passive RFID is a function of the PCBA, and/or RF connectivity to the PCBA is required.
- Specification of performance in terms of power consumption and battery life (if applicable).
- Details of any other electronics and/or software that is required of the PCBA, for example sensor interface and processing, RF communications such as BluetoothLE or UHF MODEM etc.
- Packaging requirements including overall product dimensions and enclosure requirements such as encapsulation, IP rating, operating environmental temperatures and humidity, vibration and shock endurance etc. Labelling requirements and any approvals required such as FCC, CE (RED) etc. Details of production test requirements.
Stage 2: Software and hardware development and production of a prototype(s) for customer test and acceptance
This stage will be accurately quoted in stage 1 above. It will be billed 100% in advance of work commencement. Costs for this stage will depend upon the complexity of the development and range from under £1K to £50K. Timescales can vary between 1-12 months, again according to the complexity of the development. The charging and deliverables of this stage may be split into sub-stages based on milestones for complex developments. The deliverables for this stage will be:
- Supply by Eccel Technology Ltd of an agreed quantity of prototype units for customer test and acceptance.
- Provision of a full unit price quotation for the agreed product manufacture and supply for production (stage 3 below).
Stage 3: Delivery of production units to customer order requirements
This will be quoted provisionally in stage 1, and accurately in stage 2 above.
A rebate of 10% of the unit price will be given until all of the “labour” element costs in stages 1 and 2 above have been recouped by the customer. External spend in stages 1 and 2 above will not be included in this rebate, only our “labour” element.
If interested please contact us!