The RFID B1 is a close relative of the RFID A1 sub assembly module from Eccel Technology Ltd (IB Technology). The product is designed like the RFID A1 for embedded applications, where the user wishes to easily add RFID capability to his design without requiring the time and RFID expert knowledge to develop this high performance solution starting from scratch from an individual component and embedded software level. In addition to it’s suitability for embedded designs, it is also highly suitable for integration into a PC or PLC based system, due to the UART interface provided. Furthermore, there are a range of peripherals on the module such as comparator, DAC/PWM and digital IO that are available to the user and configured and accessed by specific commands and control/status registers. MIFARE® DESFire® and MIFARE Plus® cards are supported for serial number acquisition only.
The command interface is powerful and yet simple and all features and peripherals are accessed as simple memory based devices using these commands and dedicated control and status registers in memory on the module. 128 bit AES encryption of data storage and transmission are also offered, as well as raw serial and serial plus 16 bit CRC communication options.
The guiding values of the RFID-B1 design have been:
- Fully supports read/write to MIFARE Classic® 1k, MIFARE Classic® 4k, NTAG21x, MIFARE Ultralight®. Supports serial number (UID) read only of other ISO14443 based transponders such as MIFARE® DESFire®, MIFARE Plus® etc.
- Multiple tag: supports anti-collision enabling simultaneous reading and writing of multiple tags in the filed.
- Supports polling mode (tag’s UIDs can be stored on the “whitelist” in the RFID B1 user memory).
- Low power consumption. Two low power modes are offered to enable power consumption as low as 20nA (nano amps).
- Small footprint. Like the RFID A1, the RFID B1 is just over 20mm x 20mm in size, with castellated edges to enable easy placement of the module onto the User’s printed circuit board (PCB), just like any other component on the board.
- High transponder read/write speed. For example, the whole 1k byte memory of a MIFARE Classic® 1K device can be written to in under 0.6 seconds and read in under 0.5 seconds.
- Powerful encryption. The module provide the option to encrypt and decrypt data using the AES128 CBC encryption algorithm, with multiple encrypt/decrypt key storage and selection options.
- Common peripheral availability such as digital IO, PWM/DAC, Comparator.
- Low cost and fast time to market.
The module simply requires a 3.3V power and GND connection from the user PCB, along with 2 connections to an antenna and the two serial connections, Tx and Rx. Eccel Technology Ltd (IB Technology) provide a range of suitable antennas designed for use with this module, or can offer antenna design services or matching and tuning services for your antenna design.